Item ROYG-IMG-01-095 - Skidby Mill, Yorkshire, Nuts

Original Digital object not accessible

Reference code

ROYG-IMG-01-095

Title

Skidby Mill, Yorkshire, Nuts

Date(s)

  • Mid 20th century (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

1 slide

Repository

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Scope and content

A Grade II* listed windmill at Skidby near Beverley, in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Originally built in 1821, the mill was further extended to its current 5 stories in 1870. It is powered by 4 sails, 11 metres in length, and was in commercial use until 1966. Between 1954 and 1966 the mill was used for grinding animal feedstuff using newly installed electric rollers but also continued producing stoneground flour. The mill was sold to the local council in 1969 for £1 and after being renovated was opened in 1974 as a working museum. It is the last working English windmill north of the Humber, producing stoneground wholemeal flour from locally grown wheat. The mill is open to visitors.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Alternative identifier(s)

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres