John Boyes Correspondence
- 20th century (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
John Boyes was born in 1914 in Surrey. He moved to Chingford in 1956 and worked as a Senior Factory Inspector. He was interested in Industrial Archaeology and local history and was a member of various organisations, including the Chingford Historical Society of which he was Chairman and then President, the Essex Archaeological and Historical Congress of which he was founder and President, the Society of Antiquaries of which he was a Fellow and the Thurrock Local History Society of which he was a Patron. He published various works including the book "The Canals of Eastern England" (1977) and frequently lectured on Industrial Archaeology.
The mill library of John Boyes was donated to the archive by his son Geoffrey Boyes in February 2015. This correspondence was found tucked between the pages of many of the books, along with cuttings and postcards now moved to the cuttings and postcard collections. The material has been arranged according to the book it came out of.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Scope and content
Correspondence mainly relating to reviews of mill books. Also includes a few photos.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions governing access
This collection may be consulted free of charge at the Mills Archive; please email email@example.com to arrange an appointment.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Collection level description by Nathanael Hodge, 2015.