Showing 9742 results

Archival description
Smock mills Image
Advanced search options
Print preview Hierarchy View:

9742 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

"Famous mill collapses"

Cutting from 'Kent Messenger' describing the collapse of West Hougham windmill on Mill Farm, owned by Messrs. Benjamin and Ernest Tanton. The collapsed was witnessed by Mr. T. J. Gaudsen. The article also outlines a brief history of the mill, including its use as a military rendezvous point.

"The mill's sails will turn again for Old Hector"

Cutting from 'News Chronicle'describing restoration efforts by miller Hector Stone on The Mill in Upminster. The article also mentions that the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings had taken over responsibility for fundraising for the project.

"Ancient mill destroyed by fire"

Cutting from 'Kent Messenger'describing the destruction of Black Windmill at Barham by a fire. The article mentions that the county council agreed to pay part of the £7000 required for repairs and also includes a brief history of the mill as well as an eye-witness account of the fire from Mr. Ben Greiner.

"Friends help to keep the old mill in fine shape"

Cutting from an unknown source describing a meeting of Friends of Meopham Mill presided over by Mr. Alex Evans about the restoration of Meopham Mill in Kent. The article goes over details of the fundraising and restoration effort, and outlines the mill's current functions.

"The Mill sails may turn again"

Cutting from 'The Reporter' of an article by Margaret Collingwood describing efforts to restore Meopham Mill in Kent by the Friends of Meopham Mill. The article provides a history of the mill and its functions throughout the years, as well as a record of the Killick brothers having it built. It also mentions the mill's current use.

"Famous landmark goes"

Cutting from 'Kentish Express' describing the collapse of a mill in Hougham. It was owned by Benjamin C. Tanton and the destruction was witnessed by Mr. Jack G. Gausden. The article also gives a brief history of the mill.

"Friends of the Mill scheme inaugurated"

Cutting from 'The Recorder' describing the inauguration of the Friends of the Mill scheme at Upminster Windmill in Essex. The article mentions the inauguration being carried out by Essex County Council chairman Frank Foster, and also outlines the benefits members of the scheme would be entitled to.

"Election threat to shopkeepers"

Cutting from 'The Herald' of an article by Henfrey Smail detailing the history of the Navarino Mills in Sussex. The article gives some background on Worthing political procedure, and also goes over a history of the mills, including ownership and millwrights who worked there.

"Fight to preserve mill"

Cutting from 'West Sussex Gazette and South of England Advertiser'' describing the rejection of demolition plans of Tottisham Mill at Climping. The demolition was proposed by the owner of the mill, the Marchioness of Normanby, and opposed by the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, the Sussex Archaeological Society's Industrial Archaeology Group, and Littlehampton Natural Science and Archaeology Society. The article goes over some potential preservation efforts, and also includes a brief history of the mill.

"Famous landmark saved"

Cutting from 'Brighton and Hove Herald' describing the cancellation of plans to sell West Blatchington windmill and replace it with bungalows. The article mentions Mrs. Bately, honorary secretary of the Society of Sussex Downsmen, had written to the owner of the mill, the Marquess of Abergavenny, to be given the opportunity to purchase the mill should it be put up for sale.

"Along the shore"

Cutting from 'The Post' of an article by Gerard Young describing the changing coastline in Felpham, which includes details of The White Mill on Felpham Beach being taken down in 1879 as a result.

"Town loses windmill landmark"

Cutting from an unknown source describing the demolition of Draper's Mill in Hastings because of its condition upon a recommendation by Rex Wailes. The dismantling was carried out by new owners A. Griffin and Sons.

"Memories of an old mill"

Cutting from 'The Advertiser' about the appearance of two windmills in Sussex appearing on an 1824 map of the area. The article mentions College Mill and Cripplegate Mill, but focuses on Cripplegate Mill in particular, providing its brief history and details of ownership, as well as its destruction in a fire on 25 May 1914.

"Barham Mill - part of the farmers' heritage"

Cutting from 'Kentish Gazette' describing the efforts to save Barham Mill in Canterbury by local farmers. The article mentions an appeal for funding from Cllr. Alfred Ross, and also includes a history of the mill and some of the milling techniques used there.

"Weald Windmill goes"

Cutting from 'Kentish Express' describing the demolition of Weald Windmill in Headcorn. The article gives a brief history of the mill, including its ownership in the 1800s by the East Sutton Estate, and later by Mr. M. J. Fermor.

"Capel efforts to save Shiremark windmill"

Cutting from 'West Sussex County Times' describing the efforts of Capel Parish Council to save the Shiremark windmill. The article contains details about the planned restoration, including an appeal to the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, and mentions Captain E. Broadwood as a possible candidate responsible for the restoration.

"Shiremark mill"

Cutting from 'The Field' of a submission by O. M. Reed referencing a previous submission by Clive Holland (see CUTT-00277) containing excerpts from R. Thurston Hopkins' book 'Old English Mills and Inns'. The piece gives a brief history about different aspects of Shiremark mill.

"Shiremark windmill"

Cutting from 'The Field' of a submission by Clive Holland giving a brief account of his memories of Shiremark mill, including the allegation that it may have been used as a holding area by smugglers.

West Chiltington Mill

Cutting from 'Argus' giving a brief history of West Chiltington Mill, including its relocation from Monkmead in 1830 and its conversion into a house shortly after 1921.

"A fine line on village landmarks"

Cutting from 'Brighton and Hove Gazette' giving a brief history of West Blatchington Mill as specified in a booklet about buildings of architectural interest written by Mr. Michael Ray.

Results 1 to 20 of 9742