The Conference Folder for the Avoncroft Museum of Buildings Annual Weekend Conference 1977. Contains information on millwrights including biographical information on Vincent Pargeter and Rex Wailes, Ken Major, Bill Heathershaw of North Leverton Mill, and information on Danzey Green Mill, Norton Lindsey Mill, Chestern Mill, Harbury Mill, Berkswell Mill and Saxon Mill, Guy's Cliffe.
Article in 'The Illustrated Carpenter and Builder' by Reece Winstone A.R.P.S., F.R.S.A. on the theme of the variety of windmills and the arrival of the new wind turbine being put up at St.Albans that should generate 100 kW in a 30 mile per hou. wind.
Cutting from "Blackpool Times". The Ancient Monuments Society come to the rescue by taking an interest in preserving the old mills of the Fylde. An authority on mills said "it seemed a pity that not one windmill was to be seen at work in the Fylde". Lancashire had a chance to see at least one windmill remained.
Cutting from "West Lancashire Evening Gazette". The Weeton windmill was built in 1812 and the present owner, Lord Derby has promised to help the Society of Ancient Monuments preserve it for the future. Mr Wailes described the mill as a 'fine example of a tower mill and the work of the early millwrights.
Blue hardback notebook. Continued on from Notebook 26. Contains correspondence, transcripts, sketches, meetings with people and notes on wind and water mills in Cambridgeshire and Kent including Outwood; Willingham; Histon; (Kent) Benenden; Tenterden; Frittenden; Silverhill; Northiam; Icklesham; Chillenden; (Essex) Orsett; Fryerning; Stock; Mountnessing; Saling; Bocking Churchend; Upminster; (Sussex) Mark Cross; Argos Hill; Wadhurst; (Beds) Cardington Bridge; Bromham; Stevington; (Oxon) Upper Arncot.
Buckland, John Stephen Percy (1935-2006), mill researcher
Piece in the 'West Sussex Gazette' reporting the discussions by West Sussex County Council about which of their county's windmills should be picked for preservation. They were opposed. however, to preserving the combined wind-and-water mill at West Ashling since it was still lived in by the farmer who owned it.
Cutting from the 'Bury Free Press' reporting the latest meeting of the S.P.S., at which 32 items were on the agenda. Progress on a survey of Suffolk's mills was noted, along with a report by Mr Rex Wailes on his visits to 72 of them in West Suffolk. Tree felling at Woolpit was deprecated, and the rebuilding of Brandon Bridge should only be done once the plans had been approved by the Fine Arts Committee.
Letter to the Editor of 'Cycling' Magazine from Stanley Freese, asking if "R.W." (= Rex Wailes) can idenetify an alleged law preventing later buildings from being erected around windmills: he thinks this only applies in the case of the water rights for water mills.
Letter to the Editor of the 'Stratford-upon-Avon Herald' from Sir Willoughby de Broke & Mr O. A. Greenslade, about the report by Mr Rex Wailes of the S.P.A.B. on the irreparable done to the the Burton Dassett mill in the 1946 storm. However, he reports that the 'Beacon Tower' nearby might benefit from restoration work and that the £60 requested for the mill could be better spent on the Beacon.
Note in the 'Royal Leamington Spa Courier' that Mr Rex Wailes, of the S.P.A.B. had reported to Burton Dassett parish council that a complete rebuild would be necessary to restore the windmill to its former landmark status, and this would cost at least £1,000.