Print preview Close

Showing 2022 results

Archival description
Unindexed mill
Print preview Hierarchy View:

1772 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Indenture relating to a grist mill at Northpetherton

1 sheet of vellum measuring 77cm x 38cm, signed and sealed by Henry Gatchell and Robert Woodhouse and concerning a grist mill and meadows at Northpetherton (being known as Spall House, woods or grounds). The reverse features numerous notes in different handwriting, relating to the receipt of payments due under "this mortgage", the last one being made in 1712.

Two 18th century documents relating to mills at Haughton and Thoresby Park, and to tree planting in the parkland of the Duke of Kingston (the Pierrepont Family)

1 folded sheet measuring 38cm x 31cm recording an agreement between the agent of the Duchess of Kingston and Thomas Thorpe (miller) relating to the diversion of the water supply to Haughton Mill and a weekly lease of new corn mill at Thoresby Park, the Duchess' corn and malt to be ground free of charge. For further content click on the link to the document transcription. A second folded sheet measuring 41cm x 31cm gives, "An Account of all the Trees taken out of the Nurserys and Planted in the Parke to 31 December 1762", seeming to relate to tree planting at either Thoresby Park or Holme Pierrepont Hall.

"Plan for the Rolling Mill upon the Cocquet"

A photograph made by Hallam Ashley of a technical drawing done by John Smeaton in the 18th century.
In 1775 speculators built a rolling mill on the Cocquet in Northumberland with a dam built by Smeaton. This became the Acklington Tin Works and was in production until 1884.

Smeaton, John (1724-1792), engineer

Water Mill at the victualing works at Red House, Deptford

A photograph made by Hallam Ashley of a technical drawing done by John Smeaton in the 18th century.

'Design for a Water Mill for His Majesty's Victualing Office Works at the Red House to be worked by water raised by a Steam Engine'. Transverse and Longitudinal Sections are drawn.
The yard at Deptford became the largest food-processing operation in England. It was largely rebuilt between 1774 and 1785.

Smeaton, John (1724-1792), engineer

Extract of the will of John Scarbrough, farmer and miller, Lincolnshire

2 sheets of paper measuring 25cm x 40cm and extracted from registry of the Archdeaconry of Stow showing the last will and testament of John Scarbrough of Ashby, Bottesford, Lincolnshire. Bequests include land in Ashby called "Mill Hill" and giving "to my son John Scarbrough all that my corn wind mill with mill stones, sails, tackle, apparel, going geer......situated on Mill Hill".

Indenture relating to a watermill at Darley, Dacre and Bewerley

1 sheet of vellum measuring 81cm x 63cm, sealed with "the mark of Henry Clint" of Darley, in which he grants a "feoffment of a watercorn-mill, land and premises in Darley and Dacre with Bewerley" to William, Nathan and Amos Bake of Dacre in consideration for the payment of £1425. The mill is known as "Darley Mill" and the feoffment references Darley Beck.

"Bone Mill"

J Constable, Bone Mill. From a drawing 1821. View of mill from the river. Source unknown - no designation on the drawing itself.

Constable, John (1776-1837), artist

Mills at Wisbech

Part of the Rex Wailes collection.
Photograph of an oval painting showing a river and townscape and a number of mills and churches. Signed JC Sargeant? 1848.
The white post mill is Webster’s mill (demolished between 1887 and 1895) and the black open trestle mill without sails is Bell’s mill (last known to be standing in 1846), both in Leverington Road.

A year's lease for a watermill at Mill Bridge, Liversedge

1 sheet of vellum measuring 62cm x 39cm comprising a lease from Thomas Greenwood and Benjamin Wood of a corn mill at Mill Bridge, Liversedge to Elizabeth Kershaw. The description of the demised property includes, "All that Mill or building situate and being at Mill Bridge aforesaid used as a Corn mill with the water wheel, steam engine, engine house, drying kiln, machines, hoppers, Mill stones and all other implements, fixtures, geerings and things belonging to the said mill...". The indenture is signed and sealed by Wood and Greenwood.

"The Port of Wisbech Cambridgeshire"

Part of the Rex Wailes collection.
A view of the port of Wisbech showing ships in a wide canal, two post mills and one tower mill. Drawn by J.P.Hunter. Published by J.P.Hunter,Wisbech, February 1840. Sent as a calendar to Enid and Rex Wailes, Christmas 1947.
The white post mill is Webster’s mill and the black mill is Bell’s mill, both in Leverington Road.

Hunter, J P

Results 1 to 20 of 2022