The sixty seventh item is a photocopy of an eighteenth century engraving of the King's Mills in Guildford. The date of the production of this photocopy is not recorded. We are informed that the actual physical engraving is preserved at the British Museum. At the bottom right hand corner of the back of the photograph a printed message reads "Copyright E. M. Gardner, Borden Village,Liphook, Hants (Hampshire)." Interestingly, "Please return to" has been added in black ink while the word "Copyright" has been neatly crossed out. We can make the deduction from this information that at some point in time Gardner allowed an individual to borrow this print; the copyright of which belonged to her.
This Sub - Series is comprised of 88 photographs of a wide range of watermills located across the length and breadth of England and Wales. The photographs have been arranged into the alphabetical order of the respective name of the county in which they are located.
The twenty eighth image is a photocopy of an illustration of a watermill which is simply identified as being "A Watermill near Hemel Hempstead. Hartfordshire (Hertfordshire)." However, it is most likely that this is Piccott's End Mill. There is no date of production recorded.
The twenty ninth image features the watermill of Lewisham in Kent. This item is a photocopy of an illustration of the mill produced in the late eighteenth century. Interestingly, the item has a caption on the left hand corner of the bottom of the sketch reading "A View of the Water Mill near Lewisham in Kent" while on the right hand corner this information is reproduced in French "Viie du Moulin a leau, aupres du Lewisham en Kent". The sketch was printed by "Carington Bowles, Map and Printseller No. 69 in St Paul's Church Yard, London." and published on 1 October 1770.
The forty fourth item is a copy of a painting reproduced on a piece of card featuring Harlech Castle in Gwynedd, North Wales. On the back of the painting a handwritten note reads "Harlech Castle. Paul Sandby. Showing Mill 17." Paul Sandby (1731 - 1809) was a British landscape painter who was one of the founding members of the Royal Academy in 1768. It appears that Sandby undertook and produced this watercolour painting during the course of the year 1778. We know that the painting was engraved by William Walker and William Angus as well as being published by George Kearsley the elder on 1st January 1779. The year in which this copy was produced is not recorded.
The second item is a photocopy of an illustration featuring the windmill of the Abbey Mills of West Ham. The illustration is entitled as "Abbey mills on the road of West Ham". We are informed that this illustration was published on 13th February 1783 by John Harris at Sweetings Alley in Cornhill on the outskirts of London.
The seventieth item is an entry from a magazine presenting a reproduction of a water - colour entitled"Arundel Mill" painted by the famous English landscape painter, Peter De Wint (21 January 1784 - 30 January 1849.) The watermill of this painting is Swanbourne Lake Mill situated on the river Arun.
The twenty sixth item is a photocopy of a nineteenth century illustration of the old watermill which preceded the Quay Tide Mill ; both of which were situated in exactly the same location in the small village of Emsworth in Hampshire. There is a note written on the back in red ink clearly in a later hand. The note commences with the heading of "The City Gallery" and proceeds to describe the photograph as "A Coastal scene with figures and a fishing boat beached by a cottage. Gils on canvas 19 1/2 x 27 ins (presumably an abbreviation of inches). Curia 1800 - 1810." There is an additional note in black ink which reads "Mill that preceded Quay Mill, Emsworth." According to the information we are given, the sketch itself was produced at some point between the years 1800 and 1810.
This Sub - Series features 10 photographs and 1 photocopy of a painting. There are three photographs of windmills, three photographs, one engraving and one photocopy of a painting which feature Animal Powered Mills and the last three photographs are copyrighted images of the Times newspaper demonstrating the industrial process of millstone manufacture. A postcard presenting an illustration of animal powered mills in India used to belong to this folder. However, this item as with all other postcards has been moved to the new postcard folder. It is important to note that the images of millstone manufacture have not been added as Digital Object files to the catalogue entries as The Times could still own the copyright of these specific images.
The first item of this Sub - Series is a photocopy of a drawing of Grange Farm Mill in Willington, Bedfordshire. The drawing was produced in 1848. We are informed by the note on the back that the building no longer exists having "been pulled down". However, there are no more details revealed on the back of the image.
The second item of this Sub - Series is another photocopy of an illustration of Grange Farm Mill in Willington, Bedfordshire. Like the preceding photocopy, this is a reproduction of a drawing of the mill which was produced in 1848. Once again, we are informed by a note on the back that the building no longer exists having "been pulled down".
This Sub - Series is comprised of 20 photographs of watermills situated in the county of Hertfordshire as well as containing 2 printed reproductions of 2 paintings. It used to hold a postcard which has now been moved to the new postcard collection.
The one hundred and twenty eighth item is the first photograph of Nayland Mill on the River Stour in the county of Suffolk. Nonetheless, the mill is relatively near to the border of Essex and Colchester. The photograph is undated. However, there is a handwritten note which informs us that this is a reproduction "from an old photograph."