E. M. Gardner produced an extensive and expansive catalogue of handwritten notes relating to an array of watermills throughout England and Wales between the years 1947 and 1955. The handwritten notes of Gardner are arranged clearly by county in alphabetical order commencing with Cambridgeshire. Gardner's notes record details of the geographical locations, visual descriptions of the buildings and the extent to which the buildings had survived the test of time as well as the names of the present and past millers. All of E. M. Gardner's notes have been collated and amassed together having been separated from the notebooks of inventories, index cards, photographs and postcards which also comprise the E. M. Gardner collection. There are some newspaper cuttings which Gardner collected herself. The decision has been made to include and incorporate these newspaper cuttings with the handwritten notes for the relevant and at the same time interesting and valuable information that they impart.
The handwritten notes produced by E. M. Gardner concern the watermills of Homton, Holworthy and Kingsbridge. In addition, the folder contains a pamphlet about the Hill fort and Castle Hill at Widworthy written by Lieutenant J.V. Ramsdem as well as a blank envelope which used to hold 16 photographs (which are now in the folder EMGC-04 and catalogued as EMGC-04-02") and 1 postcard which is now in the postcard collection.
The handwritten notes produced by E. M. Gardner concern the watermills of St Thomas, Totnes, Tavistock, Tiverton and Tovington. In addition, the folder contains a document entitled “Past Recalled: Sidelights on the History of South Zeal” as well as an envelope which used to hold 11 photographs. The photographs have been moved to the folder "EMGC-04" and catalogued as "EMGC-04-05".
The handwritten notes produced by E. M. Gardner concern the watermills situated along the course of the rivers of Otter and Sid within the county of Devon. In addition, the folder also holds various letters addressed to a certain Miss Durham as well as an envelope which used to contain 38 photographs (now catalogued as EMGC-04-06) and 1 postcard of the mill of Ottery St. Mary which is now in the postcard collection.