Showing 78 results

Archival description
Pumping stations With digital objects
Print preview Hierarchy View:

"Manchester Water Street - Crosshead"

Manchester's Hydraulic Power System was a public network supplying energy across the city via a system of high-pressure water pipes from three pumping stations from 1894 until 1972. The station at Water Street, on the banks of the River Irwell was completed in 1909, and was designed in Baroque style by architect Henry Price. Since 1994 it has been part of the People's History Museum complex. One of the pump sets has been moved to the Museum of Science and Industry, where it has been restored to working order and forms part of a display about hydraulic power.[

"Manchester Water Street - Crank & Valves"

Manchester's Hydraulic Power System was a public network supplying energy across the city via a system of high-pressure water pipes from three pumping stations from 1894 until 1972. The station at Water Street, on the banks of the River Irwell was completed in 1909, and was designed in Baroque style by architect Henry Price. Since 1994 it has been part of the People's History Museum complex. One of the pump sets has been moved to the Museum of Science and Industry, where it has been restored to working order and forms part of a display about hydraulic power.[

"Manchester Water Street - Electric Motor & Gears"

Manchester's Hydraulic Power System was a public network supplying energy across the city via a system of high-pressure water pipes from three pumping stations from 1894 until 1972. The station at Water Street, on the banks of the River Irwell was completed in 1909, and was designed in Baroque style by architect Henry Price. Since 1994 it has been part of the People's History Museum complex. One of the pump sets has been moved to the Museum of Science and Industry, where it has been restored to working order and forms part of a display about hydraulic power.[

"Manchester Water Street - Hydraulic Accumulator"

Manchester's Hydraulic Power System was a public network supplying energy across the city via a system of high-pressure water pipes from three pumping stations from 1894 until 1972. The station at Water Street, on the banks of the River Irwell was completed in 1909, and was designed in Baroque style by architect Henry Price. Since 1994 it has been part of the People's History Museum complex. One of the pump sets has been moved to the Museum of Science and Industry, where it has been restored to working order and forms part of a display about hydraulic power.[

"Manchester Water Street - Pumping Engine"

Manchester's Hydraulic Power System was a public network supplying energy across the city via a system of high-pressure water pipes from three pumping stations from 1894 until 1972. The station at Water Street, on the banks of the River Irwell was completed in 1909, and was designed in Baroque style by architect Henry Price. Since 1994 it has been part of the People's History Museum complex. One of the pump sets has been moved to the Museum of Science and Industry, where it has been restored to working order and forms part of a display about hydraulic power.[

"Manchester Water Street - Electric Motor"

Manchester's Hydraulic Power System was a public network supplying energy across the city via a system of high-pressure water pipes from three pumping stations from 1894 until 1972. The station at Water Street, on the banks of the River Irwell was completed in 1909, and was designed in Baroque style by architect Henry Price. Since 1994 it has been part of the People's History Museum complex. One of the pump sets has been moved to the Museum of Science and Industry, where it has been restored to working order and forms part of a display about hydraulic power.[

"Manchester Water Street - High Pressure Valves"

Manchester's Hydraulic Power System was a public network supplying energy across the city via a system of high-pressure water pipes from three pumping stations from 1894 until 1972. The station at Water Street, on the banks of the River Irwell was completed in 1909, and was designed in Baroque style by architect Henry Price. Since 1994 it has been part of the People's History Museum complex. One of the pump sets has been moved to the Museum of Science and Industry, where it has been restored to working order and forms part of a display about hydraulic power.[

"Whittlesea Mere - site of Appold Pump House"

The Whittlesea Mere pumping station was installed in 1851 using the newly invented Appold centrifugal pump, as shown atthe Greta Exhibition that year. It could pump 1,600 gallons per minute and lift water higher and faster than the scoop wheel. The plant was removed in 1877 to be replaced by a beam engine.

"Hobhole Sluice, 1867"

The Hobhole Sluice is one of several on the River Witham Navigation. The construction of Hobhole sluice was the first time that a steam engine is known to have been used in connection with Fens drainage. In order to keep the foundations for the sluice free from water, they were pumped out by a Boulton & Watt steam engine, rated at 6 hp (4.5 kW). The machine lasted until at least 1814, just 3 years before the first permanent steam pumping station was built at Sutton St. Edmund in South Holland.[

"Steam Engine, Pinchbeck"

Pinchbeck Engine Museum is a fully restored steam pumping station. The renovated working beam engine is now operated by electricity, with a collection of rare hand tools and exhibits on land reclamation, drainage and modern conservation work.

Stretham Old Engine - interior - beam

Stretham is a small village near Ely and is the location of the Stretham Old Pump, a steam powered pump used to drain the fens. The pump is still in use today although converted to electric power.

Stretham Old Engine - interior

Stretham is a small village near Ely and is the location of the Stretham Old Pump, a steam powered pump used to drain the fens. The pump is still in use today although converted to electric power.

Results 1 to 20 of 78