Showing 88666 results

Archival description
Print preview Hierarchy View:

76532 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Commemorative Stone at Alcabideche, Cascais, Portugal

The inscription is an excerpt from a poem by the 11th century Arab poet, Ibn Mucana, who lived on the Iberian Peninsula in the Alcabideche area (in present day Cascais, Portugal). The excerpt translates as, "If you are a determined man, you need a mill that works with the clouds without depending on the streams". Ibn Mucana is thought to be the first writer on the Iberian Peninsula to expressly mention the existence of windmills in the area.

Wailes, Reginald (1901-1986), engineer, known as Rex

"Crank over[hand] engine, Woolpit, (2)"

"Crank over[hand] engine, Woolpit, (2)". "Ball-weighted safety valves and ditto primer; also the wooden regulator arm, with iron crank (all on top of boiler). From S Freese".

Freese, Stanley (1902-1972), town planner and artist

"Crank over[hand] engine, Woolpit (1)"

"Crank over[hand] engine, Woolpit (1)". "Top of 'column', showing crankpin and forked con:rod with a 2 foot rule alongside. From S Freese, Wenhaston".

Freese, Stanley (1902-1972), town planner and artist

Leach's eight-sailed tower mill, Wisbech

Two sets of handwriting on the reverse. Rex Wailes' note reads, "Leach's Eight Sailed mill, Lynn Road, Wisbech. This [corn] mill was built on an old post mill mound. The sails were removed in 1896. It had originally 4 sails but by 1840 it had 8. When this change was made is not certain. Copy photo from A.A. Oldham, Mount Drive, Wisbech". The second set of handwriting is in pencil (underneath Rex Wailes' notes) and reads, "The Eight Sail Mill, Lynn Road, Wisbech. Taken before removal of sails in 1896. (Copy of original photo of course). Cap of mill demolished in summer of 1947".

Oldham, Arthur Artis

Post mill, Williamsburg, Virginia, USA

Note on reverse reads, "I took this picture at Williamsburg, Virginia, July 1965. It is in running order, but the corn meal they sell comes from another mill in Louisa, VA, built in 1742".

Unknown photographer

Rash's Mill, Wortham, Suffolk

Note on reverse reads, "letter in Mr Strain's rooms" and attached to the back is the following: "Recently WORTHAM Smock-Mill, Suffolk was demolished and in the picture workmen are removing the smock-boards off the body of the mill, while another stands on the curb upon which the cap rotates when the wind strikes the fantail on right of picture. The valuable timber was sold in lots recently. Photo: C. Elliott, Beccles".

Elliott, C, photographer

Results 101 to 120 of 88666