Print preview Close

Showing 1712 results

Archival description
Unindexed mill With digital objects English
Print preview Hierarchy View:

Two 18th century documents relating to mills at Haughton and Thoresby Park, and to tree planting in the parkland of the Duke of Kingston (the Pierrepont Family)

1 folded sheet measuring 38cm x 31cm recording an agreement between the agent of the Duchess of Kingston and Thomas Thorpe (miller) relating to the diversion of the water supply to Haughton Mill and a weekly lease of new corn mill at Thoresby Park, the Duchess' corn and malt to be ground free of charge. For further content click on the link to the document transcription. A second folded sheet measuring 41cm x 31cm gives, "An Account of all the Trees taken out of the Nurserys and Planted in the Parke to 31 December 1762", seeming to relate to tree planting at either Thoresby Park or Holme Pierrepont Hall.

"Plan for the Rolling Mill upon the Cocquet"

A photograph made by Hallam Ashley of a technical drawing done by John Smeaton in the 18th century.
In 1775 speculators built a rolling mill on the Cocquet in Northumberland with a dam built by Smeaton. This became the Acklington Tin Works and was in production until 1884.

Smeaton, John (1724-1792), engineer

Water Mill at the victualing works at Red House, Deptford

A photograph made by Hallam Ashley of a technical drawing done by John Smeaton in the 18th century.

'Design for a Water Mill for His Majesty's Victualing Office Works at the Red House to be worked by water raised by a Steam Engine'. Transverse and Longitudinal Sections are drawn.
The yard at Deptford became the largest food-processing operation in England. It was largely rebuilt between 1774 and 1785.

Smeaton, John (1724-1792), engineer

"Bone Mill"

J Constable, Bone Mill. From a drawing 1821. View of mill from the river. Source unknown - no designation on the drawing itself.

Constable, John (1776-1837), artist

Mills at Wisbech

Part of the Rex Wailes collection.
Photograph of an oval painting showing a river and townscape and a number of mills and churches. Signed JC Sargeant? 1848.
The white post mill is Webster’s mill (demolished between 1887 and 1895) and the black open trestle mill without sails is Bell’s mill (last known to be standing in 1846), both in Leverington Road.

"The Port of Wisbech Cambridgeshire"

Part of the Rex Wailes collection.
A view of the port of Wisbech showing ships in a wide canal, two post mills and one tower mill. Drawn by J.P.Hunter. Published by J.P.Hunter,Wisbech, February 1840. Sent as a calendar to Enid and Rex Wailes, Christmas 1947.
The white post mill is Webster’s mill and the black mill is Bell’s mill, both in Leverington Road.

Hunter, J P

Results 1 to 20 of 1712