Highdown Mill, Angmering

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Highdown Mill, Angmering

BT Sussex

Highdown Mill, Angmering

Equivalent terms

Highdown Mill, Angmering

  • UF New Mill, Angmering
  • UF Ecclesden Mill

Associated terms

Highdown Mill, Angmering

15 Archival description results for Highdown Mill, Angmering

15 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

"Sussex Wind and Water Mills"

Report in the 'Mid Sussex Times' of a talk, given to the Burgess Hill Townswomen's Guild, by Mr Raymond Chandler of Aldbourne, which included the windmill at Shipley which had been renovated by Mr Peter Powell of Coolham.

"Mania of the miller"

Letter to the Editor of the 'West Sussex Gazette' from Mr R. M. Low of Barnham, drawing attention to the ref in E. V. Lucas's reference in his "Highways and Byways in Sussex" (1904 p.79) to the miller John Oliver who worked Highdown Mill in the later 18th century and slept with his coffin under his bed. Mr Low suggests there may be some connection here with the Roundstone Inn in Angmering. [In the 2nd edition(1935, reprinted 1950) the quote is on p.90.]

Highdown Mill

Pen and ink drawing with wash, M1120 - Highdown Mill, Angmering, 4 miles SE of Arundel, 26/07/1938

Wood, Karl Salsbury (1888-1958), artist

"Family reunion amid ruins"

Cutting from 'The People' describing the reunion planned by John Oliver at Highdown Hill Mill, where his ancestor by the same name was the miller until his death in 1793. The article provides a detailed profile of the miller and his eccentricities, as well as a brief background of the surrounding Olivers.

"Top priority to get windmill restored"

Cutting from 'The Argus' of an article by Jo Breach describing the restoration effort at Ecclesden Mill in Angmering by Margaret Appa and her husband Ranjit. The article gives a brief history of the mill and details of the restoration process.

"Ecclesden Mill, Angmering"

Cutting from 'West Sussex Gazette' giving a brief description of Ecclesden Mill near Angmering, which was originally built as a smock mill in by John Olliver, but was torn down in 1826 and rebuilt as a tower mill. The piece is accompanied by a sketch by Mrs. Addison.

"Kept his coffin under the bed"

Cutting from 'The Herald' of an article by Henfrey Smail detailing the history of Highdown mill in Ferring. The article goes over the history of the mill, including an important archaeological find in the area. It also focuses on the personal story of the miller, John Oliver.