- Corporate body
Joseph Rank began working at a small windmill in Hull in 1875. In 1885 he built his first roller mill, Alexandra Mill, and in 1891 the much larger Clarence Mill. In 1899 the company was incorporated as Joseph Rank Ltd. Many other milling companies were purchased, and new mills constructed in ports around the country.
On Joseph Rank's death in 1945 his son James became chairman, followed by his brother J Arthur Rank in 1952. In 1962 the company acquired Hovis-McDougall, becoming Ranks Hovis McDougall Limited.